Thursday 12 September 2019

Maori Language Week


My Mihi

This week is Maori Language Week and for Maori language week we made a mihi using Gamefroot.  The games was already made and all we needed to do was fill in spaces with facts about ourselves.
Meanings:
Maunga - Mountain.  We typed in the name of the maunga we were born near.Awa - River.  We added in the river near our birthplace. Waka - Canoe.  We wrote what brought us into New Zealand.

Iwi - Large Family Grouping.  We weren't so sure what this meant so we just put in where we came from.
Marae - Gathering Place.  The gathering place is where our family meets up together.Kaumātua - Grandparents.  We added the names of our grandparents.
Mātua - Parents.  We put in the names of our parents.
Ingoa - Yourself.  This is where we add in our name.  We were supposed to add a photo of ourself but I chose not to.

What I enjoyed:  I enjoyed being able to introduce myself in another language.

What I found difficult:  I found some words hard to understand.

What I could do next time:  I could do better.  Maybe do a little research on what some words meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful and helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.